Monday, December 22, 2008

Comparisons - Microsoft software and Iron Man!

I'm trying to understand Microsoft Operations Manager - it's a beast. It's something that is powerful, but is complex and at this point very mind numbing.

I'm starting with this and someone walked over to my desk and asked me "Whats going on?" I couldn't resist not comparing this with the beast in Iron Man.

The "real" Iron Man has a very nice finesse robotic suit - where as the beast - is over engineered and can't do everything that the "real Iron Mans" robotic suit can do not to mention the beast is ugly and has a huge footprint!

I say this - because when we are developing tools / software -we try to make it as flexible as possible. However, when you try to give someone a tool with every lever possible, you need to find a way to make sure it has some value right out of the box. Otherwise - all your left is with frustration and possibly loss of users, not to mention productivity!

No comments: