Thursday, May 22, 2008

Microsoft's LiveSearch cashback program

Ooohhh...is this the Google killer? Are they going to grab market share from Google? Apparently some of the analysts think so. Hahaha is all I can say. I won't be surprised if people search on Google for cash back and then go to the Microsoft's cashback site to take advantage of the offer. Thats still secondary. Here's the kicker....

I picked the very first thing I saw on Live Search - a Canon PowerShot A470 - gray and with Cash back, the lowest offer $107.31.

I did a Google Product search for the same thing - Cheapest Price - $97.99 from Amazon!

Here's the thing, you can offer people all the candy they want, but once the candy runs out, they're not going to stay for a second longer. It's like the politicians and their promises, it only lasts till election day.

So, for Microsoft to "disrupt" the model, I sure hope they come up with a better search engine, not better candy. Otherwise, all they're going to do is spend their money and get nothing for it in return.

Ohh - and by the way - from what I see on Microsoft's site, when the vendor charges you more, you get a bigger cash back (ofcourse, it's not enough to beat the lower price by any margin).

I think I'm going to stick to Google. I'm waiting for Google to announce it's next quarter results. It would be really nice to see Google announcing better returns and more searches, and Microsoft announcing ....well....!

No comments: